Table of Contents
The Ultimate Guide To Buying The Right Inverter In Nigeria In 2022
Planning to purchase an inverter in Nigeria? Making the perfect selection can be very tough. However, we have made this very easy in this post. This guide is all about buying the right inverter in Nigeria and other useful important information.
For some time now, Nigerian home users and industries have seen power inverters as a reliable and safe alternative to grid electricity.
Inverters are silent, unlike Generators, which are the perfect example of noise and air pollution. Inverters are eco-friendly and also more comfortable to use.
What To Do Before Buying Inverters In Nigeria?
Before purchasing an inverter in Nigeria, there are many things you should do. Some of them have been mentioned here.
- Know the power requirement of each electrical appliance and device in your house.
To do this faster and easier, you should check the user manuals and labels of the appliances. The manufacturer will include them in the body of these devices.
- Calculate the total power requirements of all the electrical appliances and devices you wish to run on inverter power.
Just like you probably guessed, you can’t run all your appliances and devices on an inverter simultaneously. You will need to consider your top priorities.
After doing that, you should raise their power requirements to know the total wattage of electricity you need to keep your home and place of work running.
- Calculate the quantity of power backup that your house will require.
For example, if your total house requirement is 500W and you need the inverter to run for 5 hours, then what you need is (500 X 5) 2,500W.
However, you need to also consider the power that will be lost through heat dissipation and also wearing out of the battery.
- Compare the power capacity you need by the power rating of the inverter battery you want to buy. This is one of the most crucial steps to be taken to make sure you are buying the right inverter battery.
For example, if your power requirement is 5,000W (also 5,000VA) and you bought a 200AH 12V (also 2400W or 2,400VA), it won’t be enough.
That’s exactly half of what you need, and that means you have to buy two batteries. That way, you will have exactly what you need.
The Types Of Inverters Available In The Nigerian Market
Pure Sine Wave Inverters
Some devices can only run on a pure sine wave inverter. If you use other types (Modified Sine Wave or Square Wave), the devices may get damaged, malfunction or become damaged beyond repair.
Some of such devices include:
- LED Televisions
- Standing fans
- Some fluorescent light bulbs
- Audio and video equipment, satellite systems
- Bread makers
- Light dimmers and many more.
Pure Sine Wave Inverters are the most expensive in Nigeria. This is because they are produced from high-quality electrical and chemical that produces steady, continuous and smooth electricity.
Modified Sine Wave Inverters
A modified sine wave inverter is best for you if your power requirement is low. Or if you don’t plan on using the inverter for a long period.
Modified sine wave inverters are generally cheaper, more cost-effective and more available in the Nigerian market.
However, a modified sine wave inverter can also cause some problems in some devices. It causes the following malfunctions.
- Some fluorescent bulbs will give less brightness
- Some fluorescent bulbs will buzz and make annoying noises
- Electric timers and digital clocks will run faster or not work at all
- Most bread makers and light dimmers will not run or powerup
- Almost all speed drills will not work at all
- Some ceiling fans, standing fans, refrigerators and microwaves will overheat, malfunction or damage in the long run
- Some laptops can also malfunction (check your laptop power specs)
If you don’t have these devices in your home or working place, then you should consider buying a modified sine wave inverter.
This is because most modified sine wave inverters are 50% cheaper than their pure sine wave counterparts.
Square Wave Inverters
Although this is also a type of Inverter, we are not supposed to bring it up. You won’t even be able to buy it because it’s no longer being sold in the market.
Square Wave inverters can power only simple motors, nothing more.
Things You Can Do To Ensure That You Are Buying The Right Inverter
- Ask Other Inverter Users To Recommend Good Brands To you
You should ask family members, friends, neighbours and co-workers that make use of inverters.
Ask them about the place they bought it from, the manufacturer, the brand name. You should also make inquiries concerning the user experience and how it has been for them.
Doing this will ensure you end up buying the right inverter. This is because reviews from customers are always more honest and trustworthy than those from manufacturers and dealers.
- Consider The Past Record Of The Inverter Company
Nigeria is below average when it comes to electricity supply. As a result of this, many inverter companies have targeted the Nigerian market, thereby attracting the good and bad ones as well.
This is why you should spend some time and money on doing background research on the inverter company you want to patronize. With that, you will increase your chances of buying the right inverter.
- Take Note Of The Inverter Warranty Duration
Warranty is the assurance that the inverter company will give you on the quality of their product.
A warranty also comes with an assurance of repair or replacement if the inverter is damaged (during the warranty period).
But remember, the warranty will no longer be valid if the fault comes from you (the user).
- Consider The Technical Support
You will need the help of experts and technicians when installing and using an inverter.
As a result, you should make sure you patronize an inverter company that offers good technical support.
- Be Cautious Of The Dealer You Buy From
Not all inverter dealers have the genuine version of the inverter products they sell.
To avoid such dealers, contact the company making the inverter and ask them for distributors and registered dealers of their brand.
- Does The Inverter Come With A Charger?
Not all inverters come with a charger. If the inverter is sold without a charger, then you have to prepare an extra amount of money to buy a charger.
This is okay sometimes, but it’s always best to buy an inverter that has its charger made by the same company.
- Check If The Inverter Has Automatic Presets And Display Screen
Some inverters can’t be used when you are not at home to monitor their status. You should avoid such inverters if you can.
Also, make sure the inverter is a type that has a LED or LCD screen. With a display screen, you can monitor your inverter battery status, the amount of load connected to the inverter, etc.
- Does It Have Battery Protection Features?
This is one of the features to watch out for if buying the right inverter is what you are after.
Generally, you have to protect your inverter batteries so that they can last very long. Also, make sure that they don’t charge and discharge abnormally.
To avoid this, ensure you check for battery protection features before paying for that inverter in Nigeria.
- Does It Come With The Latest Technology Features?
Technology has evolved, and some things being used in inverters have been replaced by better alternatives.
This is why you should check for the latest technology features in an inverter. Some inverters now have:
- A PWM-based MOSFET technology feature that allows the power voltage to be regulated; thereby boosting performance
- Inverter battery protection protects the battery from overloading and prolongs the lifespan
- A silicon-controlled rectifier technology assists in frequent charging and little power consumption
- Additional features prevent system overload and allow for auto-reset
- A short circuit protection shields the power system from damages caused by excessive and destructive currents
- The Price. How Much Does It Cost?
You should also consider the price of an inverter before buying it. No matter how good an inverter is, you can’t purchase it if you don’t have enough money.
You should also be wary of prices because cheap inverters don’t always last when compared to ones that are sold at the standard price.
The Types Of Inverter Batteries In Nigeria, And Which One To Buy
Tubular Inverter Battery
Tubular batteries are simply large lead-acid batteries. They are bigger than flat plate batteries.
Tubular batteries are the best inverter batteries because they are very suitable for places with long power cuts (places where NEPA will take light and bring it back like 10 different times a day).
Tubular batteries are well manufactured. They have the longest lifespan for your home appliances and work equipment in Nigeria.
They are also much more durable than flat plate batteries. And that’s why they always have a longer warranty time.
If used well, a Tubular Inverter Battery can last up to 8 years in Nigeria before it needs a replacement.
Flat Plate Inverter Battery
Flat Plate Batteries are also lead-acid batteries. But they are smaller than most tubular inverter batteries.
Flat plate batteries are made for places with low duration and fewer power cuts. This type of Inverter battery is usually cheaper than a tubular inverter battery.
But here is a major disadvantage. It has a very short lifespan of 3 years.
The good news is that a flat plate battery will charge faster than other types of inverter batteries.
Gel Inverter Battery
Gel Inverter batteries are usually big. They give off very little fumes to the atmosphere and they can be used in homes that have little ventilation. This is why they are the most eco-friendly inverter battery.
They are also called “Maintenance-free Inverter Batteries” because they don’t need to be refilled with water.
One of the major disadvantages of a Gel Inverter battery is that it can easily become overcharged with high voltage.
Another setback is that it has a lifespan of 4 to 5 years, which is not enough considering its price.
Buying The Right Inverter In Nigeria: Frequently Asked Questions
How Do I Choose The Right Inverter?
To make sure you are choosing the right Inverter, make sure to do the following.
- Buy from a reputable manufacturer so you can be sure that you are buying the right inverter
- Make good research before buying it
- Don’t necessarily go for the inverter brand with the lowest price
- Buy an inverter with a strong battery protection
- Patronize a manufacturer with a good and fast technical support service
- Consider the warranty duration, the terms and conditions and other strings attached to it
How Do I Calculate What Size Of Inverter I Need?
The size of the inverter depends on the wattage or total of the individual power requirements of each device you have.
For example, the total wattage of equipment in your workplace may be 700W. Now you may want your inverter to work for 4 hours without interruption.
This means the inverter and inverter battery you will buy must be able to supply (700VA × 4 = 2,800VA).
How Much KVA Inverter Do I Need For Home?
That depends on the type of home appliances you plan to use with your power inverter.
If you need 2,000W for 3 hours, then your power requirement is 6,000VA. You should buy an inverter and inverter battery https://starplusbatteries.com.ng/contact/ that will easily supply you with this amount of electric power.
Buying The Right Inverter In Nigeria: The Bottom Line
The benefits of buying the right inverter cannot be overemphasized. An Inverter is a great investment that will keep your home and work running during power outages.
However, buying an inverter can also drain your financial resources in the short run. And that’s why you should make sure you are buying the right inverter.